By Peter Borsay
A historical past of Leisure
- explores a number pursuits, from festive tradition and song to tourism and sport
- emphasises a conceptual and significant strategy, instead of an easy narrative history
- covers a number of issues together with economic climate, kingdom, type, identities, position, house and time
- treats the constituent components of the British Isles as a fluid and dynamic amalgam of neighborhood and nationwide cultures and polities.
Authoritative and interesting, this article demanding situations traditional perspectives at the historical past of rest and indicates new techniques to the topic. Borsay attracts upon the insights supplied by means of quite a few disciplines along that of historical past - anthropology, the humanities, geography and sociology - to supply an important advisor to this interesting sector of study.
Read or Download A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 PDF
Best sociology of sports books
Explains why towns dig deep of their wallet to host the Olympics and nations breed groups for fulfillment at the international football level. nationwide identification and international activities occasions appears on the importance of foreign sporting activities and why they generate huge, immense audiences world wide. concentrating on the Olympic video games and the men’s soccer (soccer) global Cup, the members learn the political, cultural, monetary, and ideological affects that body those occasions.
First released in 2012. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Tackling social exclusion can be a significant goal of any civilised social coverage. during this meticulously revised and up-to-date new version of his groundbreaking learn, activity and Social Exclusion, Mike Collins has assembled an enormous array of latest proof from quite a number international resources to illustrate how the results of social exclusion are as obtrusive in recreation as they're in any zone of society.
This is often the 1st guide committed fullyyt to relaxation idea, charting the background and philosophy of relaxation, theories in faith and tradition, and rational theories of relaxation within the Western philosophical culture, in addition to a variety of socio-cultural theories from thinkers comparable to Adorno, Bauman, Weber and Marx.
- How to Watch a Bullfight
- The Politics of the Male Body in Global Sport: The Danish Involvement (Sport in the Global Society - Historical perspectives)
- Serious Leisure: A Perspective for Our Time
- Der Stellenwert der Sportvereine in einer individualisierten Gesellschaft (German Edition)
- Coaching Better Every Season: A Year-Round System for Athlete Development and Program Success
Extra resources for A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500
A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 by Peter Borsay